Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Overall McMNC Analysis: Part Two

How off in left field was I on some of these picks? Well, using this list (http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html) we can analyze in context, somewhat.

Up to the BCS Years, I stood alone in my picks six times in 62 seasons: 1942, 1943, 1953, 1965, 1969, 1977. Overall, that's not too bad. Agreeing with the "experts" 90% of the time demonstrates I'm not crazy, that's for sure.

See below for a year-by-year account:

1936: I picked Pittsburgh over Minnesota. While Minnesota was a consensus champ, Boand, Football Research, and Houlgate agreed with me. Williamson chose LSU, my No. 6 pick.

1937: I picked California over Pittsburgh. While Pitt was the consensus champ, Dunkel and Helms agreed with me.

1938: I picked Tennessee over TCU. Both schools were named by a lot of selectors, and Billingsley, Boand, Dunkel, Football Research, Houlgate, Litkenhous, Poling, and Sagarin agreed with my pick. Also, Dickinson picked Notre Dame -- which I left out of my Top 5.

1939: I confirmed Texas A&M, the consensus champion. However, Dickinson selected USC (my #2), while Billingsley and Litkenhous chose Cornell (not in my analysis).

1940: I picked Stanford over Minnesota, the consensus champ. Helms and Poling agreed with me, while Dunkel and Williamson went for Tennessee, my No. 6 team.

1941: I confirmed Minnesota, the consensus champion. But Berryman and Williamson went for Texas (unranked by me) and Houlgate chose Alabama (also unranked by me).

1942: This was the first major deviation year, as the majority of selectors picked between Georgia (my #2) and Ohio State (my #4). Helms chose Wisconsin (my #3). By picking Tennessee, I was standing alone here, but I felt Tennessee should have been a co-champion in the SEC due to the uneven scheduling.

1943: I stand alone again in 1943, as every selector chose 9-1 Notre Dame as their national champion despite the fact Purdue was undefeated and had beaten the team that beat the Irish. I don't think this was a reach, although the SOS was certainly in Notre Dame's favor this season. I had them No. 2 in my analysis.

1944: I picked Ohio State over Army, the consensus champion. However, I do not stand alone as the National Championship Foundation split its selection between Army and Ohio State this year. I didn't rank military academies around war periods, as noted.

1945: I picked Alabama over Army, the consensus champion. However, I do not stand alone as the National Championship Foundation split its selection between Army and Alabama this year. I didn't rank military academies around war periods, as noted.

1946: I picked Georgia over Notre Dame, the consensus champion. However, Boand, Football Research, Helms, Houlgate, and Poling all picked Army in one form or another. I do not stand alone, either, as Williamson picked the Bulldogs as well. I placed Notre Dame No. 2, of course.

1947: I confirmed Michigan as the consensus champion this year, although AP, Helms (split selection) and Williamson all selected Notre Dame. I again placed the Irish No. 2 in my final rankings.

1948: I confirmed Michigan as the unanimous champion this year.

1949: I picked Oklahoma over Notre Dame, the consensus champion. I do not stand alone, however, as Football Research also selected the Sooners. Notre Dame won its usual No. 2 spot in my final analysis.

1950: This was another split year, as selectors chose from four schools. I picked Tennessee, along with Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research and the National Championship Foundation. AP, Berryman, Helms, Litkenhous, UPI and Williamson all chose Oklahoma (my #4). Sagarin selected Kentucky (my #2), while Boand and Poling chose Princeton (not in my rankings).

1951: Five different teams were selected as MNCs in 1951, and by picking Illinois, I joined Boand (split selection) in that camp. Berryman and Boand (split) chose Georgia Tech (my #3). DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, National Championship Foundation and Sagarin chose Maryland (my #2). Billingsley, Helms and Poling selected Michigan State (my #4), and AP, Litkenhous, UPI and Williamson picked Tennessee (my #5). Quite a season, for sure.

1952: I picked Georgia Tech over Michigan State, the consensus champion. But Berryman, INS and Poling agreed with my analysis.

1953: I stood alone in picking Michigan State. AP, INS and UPI chose Maryland (my #5), while Billingsley, Boand, DeVold, Dunkel, Helms, Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation, Poling, Sagarin and Williamson chose Notre Dame (my #2). Berryman and Football Research even picked Oklahoma (my #3). This was a year where the bowl games mattered in my mind, since Maryland lost theirs and Notre Dame didn't play in one.

1954: Two teams were picked by all the selectors, UCLA and Ohio State. I picked the Buckeyes over UCLA, based simply on the bowl game Ohio State played that UCLA did not.

1955: I confirmed Oklahoma as the consensus champion, although Boand chosen Michigan State (my #2). The Sooners' SOS was very poor, but the Spartans didn't win the Big Ten. Otherwise, they would have been my pick, too.

1956: I chose Iowa over Oklahoma, the consensus champion. But I wasn't alone in ditching the Sooners: Football Research agreed with my Hawkeyes pick, while Berryman chose Georgia Tech (my #4) and Sagarin selected Tennessee (my #3). The Sooners' truly laughable SOS sunk them: one victory over a winning team and no bowl game.

1957: I chose Oklahoma in a year where three teams garnered a lot of support and a fourth team was also selected. Despite being on probation, Auburn was selected by AP, Football Research, Helms, National Championship Foundation, Poling and Williamson. Michigan State (my #4 because they didn't win the Big Ten) won accolades from Billingsley, Dunkel and Sagarin. Ohio State (my #3) topped the lists of Boand, DeVold, FW, INS, Litkenhous and UPI. Only Berryman chose Oklahoma with me. No selector chose my #2, Mississippi.

1958: I confirmed LSU as the consensus champion, while only FW chose Iowa (my #2).

1959: I confirmed Syracuse as the consensus champion, although Berryman, Billingsley, Dunkel and Sagarin selected Mississippi (my #4).

1960: Five teams were selected in 1960 as MNCs, but only one selector (Helms) agreed with my pick of Washington. Berryman, Boand, Litkenhous and Sagarin selected Iowa (my #4), while AP, FB News, NFF and UPI chose Minnesota (my #5). Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, FW, National Championship Foundation and Williamson all liked Mississippi (my #2), and Poling chose Missouri (my #3). Another crazy year, indeed.

1961: I confirmed Alabama as the consensus champion, while FW and Poling chose Ohio State (my #3).

1962: I chose Mississippi over consensus champion USC, and Litkenhous agreed with me. Billingsley went for Alabama (my #3), while Berryman gave LSU (my #4) a split with USC.

1963: I confirmed Texas as the unanimous champion.

1964: Three teams won at least four selectors this year, but I chose Arkansas in agreement with Billingsley, Football Research, FW, Helms, National Championship Foundation and Poling. My #2 (Michigan) was chosen by Dunkel, while my #3 (Notre Dame) was selected by DeVold, FB News, NFF and Sagarin. Alabama (my #4) was the champion for AP, Berryman, Litkenhous and UPI.

1965: Alabama and Michigan State split all the selectors this year, but I stood alone in gifting the McMNC to UCLA. The Tide was my #2 team, and Michigan State was my #4 team.

1966: I confirmed Notre Dame as the consensus champion, although Alabama (my #2) was chosen by Berryman. Michigan State (my #4) also got some MNC love from Football Research, Helms (split with ND), NFF (split) and Poling (split).

1967: I confirmed USC as the consensus champion. By the way, Dunkel picked Notre Dame, (out of my Top 5, since they lost to the Trojans), Poling picked Oklahoma (my #2), and Litkenhous selected Tennessee (my #3).

1968: I confirmed Ohio State as the consensus champion, although Georgia (Litkenhous) and Texas (DeVold, Matthews, Sagarin) also won some MNC love. I didn't rank Georgia, and I had Texas at No. 3 for the year.

1969: I stood alone in picking USC in 1969 over consensus champion Texas. Penn State (my #2) was selected by FACT in a split with Texas, while Matthews chose Ohio State (my #4).

1970: I confirmed Nebraska as the consensus champion, although four other teams also got MNC affection this year. Poling chose Arizona State (my #3), while Berryman, FACT (split), Litkenhous, NFF (split), Sagarin and UPI all chose Texas (my #4). FACT (split) and Matthews chose Notre Dame (my #2), while NFF (split) chose Ohio State (my #5). Another ridiculous year, clearly.

1971: I confirmed Nebraska as the unanimous champion.

1972: I confirmed USC as the unanimous champion.

1973: Five different teams earned MNC selections in this year, but I chose Notre Dame -- along with AP, FB News, FW, Helms, National Championship Foundation (split) and NFF. Alabama (my #5) was chosen by Berryman and UPI; Michigan (my #4) was selected by National Championship Foundation (split) and Poling (split); Ohio State (my #3) was chosen by FACT, National Championship Foundation (split) and Poling (split). Finally, despite being on probation, Oklahoma was selected by Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research and Sagarin. Sadly enough, 12-0 Penn State didn't get a single selector despite finishing #2 in my rankings. Another clusterfuck season, to be sure.

1974: I chose USC over on-probation/consensus champion Oklahoma. Choosing the Trojans with me were FW, Helms, National Championship Foundation, NFF and UPI. Ohio State (not in my Top 5) was chosen by Matthews.

1975: I confirmed Oklahoma as the consensus champion. However, three other teams also got attention from selectors. Ohio State (my #4) was chosen by Berryman, FACT (split), Helms (split), Matthews (split) and Poling. Arizona State (my #2) was selected by National Championship Foundation* and The Sporting News. Also, Alabama (my #3) got a split from Matthews to claim a sliver this year.

1976: I confirmed consensus champion Pittsburgh, also USC (my #2) got selected by Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research and Matthews.

1977: I chose Penn State over consensus champion Notre Dame (my #3). Four teams were honored this year, but Penn State was not one of them so I stand alone here. Texas (my #5) was selected by Berryman and FACT (split), while Arkansas (my #4) and Alabama (my #2) each got split titles (FACT and Football Research, respectively).

1978: Three teams split all the selectors this year, and I chose USC -- along with Berryman, FACT (split), FB News, Helms (split), National Championship Foundation (split), Sporting News and UPI. Oklahoma (my #4) was supported by Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT (split), Helms (split), Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling and Sagarin; Alabama (my #2) was the third team, with AP, FACT (split), Football Research, FW, Helms (split), National Championship Foundation (split) and NFF titles. Messy season, for sure.

1979: I selected USC over consensus champion Alabama. And I was not alone, as Football Research agreed with me.

1980: Five different teams won MNCs in this year, although Georgia won the most. However, I picked Pittsburgh over Georgia -- and I wasn't alone. DeVold, FACT (split), Football Research and the NY Times also picked the Panthers. Interestingly enough, Billingsley, Dunkel and Matthews chose Oklahoma (not in my Top 5). FACT (split) and Sagarin chose Nebraska (not in my Top 5), while FACT (split) also chose Florida State (not in my Top 5).

1981: Six different team were selected in this season, although Clemson was the consensus champion. But they were not mine. I agreed with Dunkel in choosing Penn State. The National Championship Foundation made a mockery of their title by splitting it five ways: Clemson (my #2), Nebraska, Pittsburgh (my #3), Texas (my #4) and SMU all got a slice. Whatever!

1982: I confirmed Penn State as the consensus champion, although Berryman chose Nebraska (my #3) and Helms chose SMU (my #5).

1983: Along with FACT (split), Football Research and the NY Times, I chose Auburn over consensus champion Miami-FL. Also, Berryman, DeVold, FACT (split), Litkenhous, Matthews, Poling and Sagarin selected Nebraska (my #3).

1984: I chose Brigham Young this year, like AP, Football Research, FW, National Championship Foundation (split), NFF, Poling, UPI and USA/CNN. However, three other teams got nods, too, from selectors. Florida (not in my rankings) was pegged by Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, FACT, Matthews, NY Times, Sagarin, and The Sporting News. Litkenhous chose Nebraska (my #4), while Berryman, FB News, and the National Championship Foundation (split) selected Washington (my #2).

1985: I confirmed Oklahoma as the consensus champion, while Matthews and Sagarin selected Michigan (my #3).

1986: I confirmed Penn State as the consensus champion, although Berryman, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, NY Times and Sagarin selected Oklahoma (my #3). Miami-FL was chosen by FACT (split).

1987: I confirmed Miami-FL as the consensus champion, although Berryman and Sagarin chose Florida State (my #3).

1988: I confirmed Notre Dame as the consensus champion, although Berryman selected Miami-FL (my #2).

1989: I confirmed Miami-FL as the consensus champion, although Berryman, Eck, FACT (split) and Sagarin selected Notre Dame (my #3).

1990: I chose Georgia Tech over consensus champion Colorado, along with selectors Dunkel, FACT (split), National Championship Foundation (split) and UPI. But Miami-FL (my #3) was chosen by Billingsley, Eck, FACT (split), NY Times and Sagarin, while FACT (split) also nabbed Washington (my #4).

1991: I chose Washington over Miami-FL in this split consensus season.

1992: I confirmed Alabama as the consensus champion. Only Sagarin went astray this year, giving Florida State (my #3) the nod.

1993: I chose Notre Dame over Florida State, the consensus champion. Agreeing with me were Matthews and National Championship Foundation (split). Auburn (not in my rankings) and Nebraska (my #3) also got split nods from NCF.

1994: I selected Penn State over Nebraska in a year of split consensus. Agreeing with me were selectors DeVold, Eck, FACT (split), Matthews, National Championship Foundation (split), NY Times and Sagarin. Surprisingly, Dunkel chose Florida State (my #5).

1995: I confirmed the unanimous champion, Nebraska.

1996: I confirmed the consensus champion, Florida. Although Alderson did select Florida State (my #5).

1997: I selected Nebraska over Michigan in a year of splits, as most selectors went with the Cornhuskers, too. Choosing the Wolverines were AP, FB News, FW, National Championship Foundation (split), NFF, and The Sporting News.

No comments: